As I look out to the night sky I see my faithful companion, Orion. Many years ago I was fascinated by this constellation. I remember sitting glued to the telly one afternoon as a man, with a monotonous voice, informed viewers of how the ancient Egyptians built the great pyramids in the likeness of Orion. Well, let me tell you, I was hooked; anything to do with the Egyptians definitely had my attention and approval. As the years progressed I would always look to the night sky for this old friend. Orion was a hunter, according to Greek mythology, he was killed by his love when she was challenged to strike a specific point in the ocean; not knowing it was Orion swimming, she flung a single arrow, striking him dead. Another version depicts Orion as a hunter who was stung by a scorpion while hunting. In both stories, Orion was denied the love of Metrope, which broke his heart. Regardless, he remains the mightiest hunter in the night sky. Each night while walking to or from the car, I would turn my eyes to the sky in search of this mythological man. My fondest memories are of brisk, pitch black nights, snow covered roads, lit up by the stars in the sky. Away from the city, and the hustle and bustle of life, I can once again turn to the celestial plains and see this friend. As the wind blows across my face, I stare up into the distance and remember what it means to be strong. You’ll never know what will be in your suitcase tomorrow.
Grace and elegance is about connecting with people and considering them as your equal. ~Garance Dore
Comments